Monday, February 25, 2013

a big step forward.

I have been researching this new law that went into effect January 2013. It allows individuals to bake from their own kitchen. A movement forward for the cottage industry. I found that there are a lot of restrictions! oh course there are!!
What I did find out is that I can create and sell my baking mixes, yeh!! and I can bake and sell my amazing gluten free muffins at the local farmers market, to coffee shops and to individuals as long as I deliver them in person.
This piece really put a damper on my idea of marketing my baking mixes nationwide. I can only sell them in California with this certification. But what it does mean is that I can test out the market here, and see what happens before I move into the next phase of a commercial kitchen. The local business and being able to deliver to the bay area once a month or so, may be just enough for me.
I was excited to see how easy the process is as long as you stay within their guidelines. ok, I can follow the rules!
What I did have to do is for go the idea of cupcakes with frosting, they need refrigeration which is a no no, but I can bake my amazing muffins and keep it simple. yes, I will!!
I am going to call the "man" at the county today to get the process going... I will let you know how it moves forward.
Until then, I am working out my recipes! right now a banana muffin is in the oven which will be infused with blueberry jam and drizzled with white chocolate! yum~

No comments:

Post a Comment